Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Story of a Man

A Man once approached a Sadhu for initiation. The Sadhu said: “I will initiate you when I meet you next time.” The Man pressed the Sadhu again and again on several days for quick initiation. The Sadhu totally declined. He returned to the Man after a couple of years. He placed in his Bhiksha-bowl some mud, hair, urine and excreta and approached the Man for alms. The Man brought nice sweet-meats, Kheer, Halwa, etc., for the Sadhu. He prepared nice dishes as he thought he would be initiated this time by the Sadhu. The Sadhu said to the Man: “Put everything in my bowl.”

The Man said: “How can I place them, Swamiji, in this dirty bowl. Kindly clean the bowl and bring it to me. I will place all the preparations in it.”

The Sadhu replied: “When such is the case with this bowl how can I place the pure Lord in your heart which is filled with various impurities like lust, anger, pride, greed, etc. How can I initiate you now, when your mind is very dirty like this bowl?”

The Man got vexed and went away in shame. He purified himself through charity and selfless service and got himself initiated by the same Sadhu after some time. The ground (mind) must be prepared first. Why do you bother much about Upadesha? Purify yourself. The initiation will come by itself.

No comments: